Monday, February 4, 2008

Sun mist wresting Pushkar(re-ga-re)

Not much new to report this time. Probably because i am still in Pushkar, and i am starting to feel a bit restless. It may be time to move on, a week or so premature of my intended departure date. I have met a friendly British couple, Kay and Paddie, who plan to go to Bhundi tomorrow afternoon. They've invited me to tag along.
Immediately below are some photos from my trek to the top of the "Snake Mountain" Range that separates Pushkar from Ajmer. Despite the occasional rock slide and affectionate tug of a cacti on my shirt, the climb was enjoyable and worth the effort.





If i can squeeze one last singing lesson in the morning, i will join the Brits. Ah! This morning my instructor had to cancel so i practiced by myself for a while. After struggling with the Hindi stuff for a bit, i started pelting out a few Elvis tunes. Probably the last thing the other attending students were expecting to hear. I got a clap from the old dude sitting by the door as i exited. Now for some pics of Pushkar proper - the first three are from my sunset visit to the lake last night. It is a gorgeous little spot.




Ah yes. Not satisfied to leave without seeing the pilgrims do their morning puja (blessings), i hauled myself out of bed to dig the cats down at the ghats. A thick fog was in effect, and i had beaten the race to wash. I quietly froze by the lake until the gentle sun restored circulation to my face. In the mean time i stoll a few snaps. The fog provided a hallucinatory atmosphere. Sorry, no pics of people washing. Holy place. Respect. Dog.







I know very little about Bhundi, other than that it is apparently very beautiful. I'm starting to think about heading east to Varanasi, or dipping into south Rajasthan to check Udaipur. It seems 7 days is long enough in this tourist infested joint. Nutella-banana pancake eating mutha-bitches.



This is not to deny Pushkar's charm. Indeed, just as it coils around a tiny lake in a meditative embrace, the market seems to gradually unravel its mysteries like a cat letting out a long yawn in the sun. Only after wandering aimlessly for a while does one begin to realise that decoration does not spare a single artifice of this mesmerising maze of blue, white, pink, green. Still; perhaps it is time to go. The art of travel? Here's a perplexed head shot.

2 comments:

Dreck said...

So beautiful.
Give Jas a hug for me.

Dreck said...

Please.
(manners...)